Pension Services 1The Morwell RSL Pension Officers operate from their office located at Unit 1, No. 11 Berg Street. Morwell, directly behind the Sub-Branch’s Clubrooms.  There are plenty of car parking spaces and easy access for those who are disabled.

Normal appointment times are between 10-00am and 12-00 noon every Tuesday and Thursday. Arrangements can also be made for a Pension Officer to visit a veteran who is housebound, in hospital or a nursing home if necessary.


This can be done by telephoning the RSL on (03) 51342455 and ask to speak to a Pension Officer or leave your contact details with the receptionist and a Pension Officer will contact you. 

 How can we help you? 
Our Pension Officers can help and assist you with advice on all pension services for ex-service veterans, serving members of the Defence Forces, and their dependents.  There are no fees charged for these services and no requirement for the ex-service veteran, the present serving member of the Defence Forces or their dependants to be a member of the RSL to obtain these services.
The expenses associated with the day to day and running costs of the pensions office are met by the Morwell RSL or donations specifically given for this purpose.  Our Pension Officers are unpaid volunteers and have been trained in their duties through the Department of Veterans’ Affairs Training and Information ( TIP ) Courses.

The services available relate to disability pensions (compensation), service pensions, compensation payments, associated allowances, income support payments and medical treatment benefits which may be available to entitled ex-service veterans, members of the Defence Forces and their dependents.  Limited advice can also be provided to Allied and ex Commonwealth veterans.
The services available includes the following:
  • Pension Services 2Providing an initial contact point for welfare and pension matters and assessment of the need and assistance in contacting the relevant service providers to solve the problem.
  • Assistance and advice in the preparation of an initial claim for compensation and benefits.
  • Advice on applications for the review of the inital decision made by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
  • Advice on cases for reconsideration under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Scheme (MRCS).
  • Advice and assistance in preparing an appeal on decisions made by the Veterans’ Review Board Tribunal.
  • Advice on cases for review involving the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Scheme (MRCS) to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.