History  of  the  Morwell  Soldiers  Memorial  (Cenotaph)

The Morwell Soldiers Memorial was originally unveiled on June 6th 1921 near the old rail crossing in Commercial Road.  It has been relocated twice since then, firstly to a site opposite Hoyle Street beside the Princes Highway, in December 1969 and finally to its present site on the corner of Elgin and Tarwin Streets in June 1990.  To commemorate the Memorials 85th Anniversary, the Morwell R.S.L Sub-Branch conducted a small service on the afternoon of Sunday 4th June, 2006.

 

 

Cenotaph nw

Morwell Cenotaph - 2003 Corner Tarwin & Elgin Streets

Morwell Cenotaph – 2003
Corner Tarwin & Elgin Streets

Morwell Cenotaph - 1921 Commercial Road

Morwell Cenotaph – 1921
Commercial Road

Morwell Cenotaph - 1921 Commercial Road

Morwell Cenotaph – 1970’s
Commercial Road